Sunday, October 2, 2011

Field Theory

I have the best teaching assistant possible for my Astronomy class; I can only hope that when I am a grad student in the near future that I will be as chill and generally cool as he is.

He's witty, laid-back, fun to talk to, and in general just a great all-around guy. Of course, that doesn't mean that his field of study is easy, no matter how much he simplifies it for us silly undergraduates.

As a friend and I were trying to figure out an extremely hard electrodynamics problem, he and another grad student came down the hall of the physics building. Now, it was getting close to eleven PM and we quickly abandoned the problem to talk about nerdy things. I remember something about dirty physics mnemonics, but that isn't important right now.

Somehow we got on the subject of my T.A.'s work, which is field theory. His grad student friend warned us to not let him start talking about it, and we promptly ignored him as my T.A. began to explain his research.

"So, you have 1+1=2. Then, you do a bunch of math, and you have field theory."

That's all we got. We know it's difficult because when a grad student says "you do a bunch of math", it usually means years and years of it.

I'm scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment